Australian Government controls the import of goods into Australia
The Department of Agriculture will examine any plant, food, animal or wooden items. Items included but not limited to such goods as dairy products, eggs and egg products, un-canned meats, live animals, live plants, seed and nuts or fresh fruit and vegetables will be examined and possibly seized.
The public are directed to the Department of Agriculture website under "Import" for details on the types of goods which may be restricted.
You also need to check that any plants, plant products, animals or animal products that you are importing are not covered by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES). You should make enquiries with the Department of Environment regarding CITES.
Exercise 10. Look at some phrasal verbs with the verb to check in a dictionary. Fill in the blanks using the prepositions in the box below.
1. First, we checked _____ the hotel, and then we took a taxi over to the convention center.
2. I am just going to make a quick call to check _____ the kids and make sure that everything is OK.
3. Your luggage will be checked ______ to Los Angeles, so you don't need to worry about it when you transfer planes in Houston.
4. We are going to check ______ the new dance club downtown. Do you want to come along?
5. Danny has been sick for over a week. We are going to check _________ later to see how he is doing.
6. Dinner at Fillipi's sounds like a great idea but let me check _____ my wife first to see if she has already made plans for Friday. If we are free, we would love to join you.
7. Health professionals suggest women regularly perform self examinations to check ______ early indications of breast cancer. If cancer is detected early, treatment is highly effective.
8. After Burt dropped his camera, he carefully checked it ______ to make sure it wasn't damaged.
9. Patricia always keeps a detailed list of her daily tasks. As she completes each task, she checks it ______ her list and moves on to the next one. Talk about good organization!
Интернет реклама УБС
10. The doctor gave Lucy some medicine for her stomach condition and told her to get plenty of rest. He said he would check ______ in a couple of days to see if she's feeling better.
Exercise 11.Test yourself. Choose the correct option.
1. She checked her luggage ______ as soon as she arrived at the airport.
a. off b. in c. up
2. He went to the doctors for a check-......
a. up b. off c. out
3. The hotel were very angry because she checked ....... without paying
a. in b. up c. out
4. The teacher checked ..... the names on the list as the pupils arrived
a. off b. in c. out
5. Could you check my work ...... for mistakes before I hand it in?
a. in b. out c. over
6. Their parents always telephone to check ..... on them if they go out
a. up b. in c. out
7. They checked our names off ....... the list before we got on the plane
a. in b. on c. up
8. His alibi checked ...... so the police released him
a. out b. in c. up
9. Some airlines want to see your passport when you check ......
a. up b. in c. out
10. If you don't check ..... your work, you can miss many mistakes
a. out b. in c. over
Exercise 12.Read the article and prepare to discuss the Customs’ role in combating environmental crime using the words in bold. For further information, go to http://www.wcoomd.org/en/topics/enforcement-and-compliance/activities-and-programmes/ep_environmental
Pollutionof air, water, land, or destruction of endangered species poses ruinous threat to the sustainable development and the health of human beings. Environmental crime is a serious and growing international problem.
Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) are international or regional agreements to take specific measures for the protection of the environment and the conversation of natural resources. The main MEAs with international trade-related provisions are: the Convention on Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Depletethe Ozone Layer (ODS); the Basel Convention on the Control of Trans-boundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal; the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutions (POPs); the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade and the Cartagena Protocol on Bio-safety.
Customs plays a very important role in the implementation of those MEAs and the fight against environmental crime. The World Customs Organization (WCO) has committed itself to the fight against environmental crime. In response to its Members’ need, the WCO has developed an environment programme on the control of MEAs related trade and the combating of environmental crime. The WCO makes use of different international agreements to raise the awareness of its Members on environmental issues.
Exercise 13.Watch the video “Border Security Australia Frontline”, episode 5/8 about Wildlife trafficking and answer the following questions:
1. Why were Customs and Border Protection officers alerted?
2. What did the x-ray reveal?
3. What do the officers do with the owner of the bags?
4. Why do they have to be very careful while examining the bags?
5. Who arrives at the place to help the investigation? What do they say about the find?
6. Which of these animals is listed as endangered?
7. What happens to the smuggler? Does he face any charge?
8. How many animals have survived?
Exercise 14. Read the following news item.
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: