Choose the correct form of the verb.
1. If it were/is a crime to smoke marijuana in Netherlands, more people would/will be punished.
2. If the passenger were/is injured during the accident, it would/was necessary to call for a doctor.
3. The offender would/was be sentenced to prison, if he were/be found guilty.
4. If the defendant could/is able show the evidence of his innocence, he wouldn`t/wasn`t be a suspect.
5. If the criminals didn`t/don`t commit crimes, they were/are not punished by the state.
6. The suspect would/must be released from custody, if he could/didn`t pay a penalty.
9. Translate the following proverbs and saying from English into th Russian. Find the Russian equivalents to them and discuss their meaning with your partner. Use the clichés given below:
1. Reason is the soul of law.
2. Justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.
3. Ignorance of law is no excuse.
4. Laws are spider webs through which the big flies pass and the little ones get caught.
5. The law helps the vigilant, before those who sleep on their rights.
6. The law respects form less than substance.
7. The law never requires impossibilities.
8. The law neither does nor requires idle acts.
9. The law disregards trifles.
To begin with…
It is generally considered that…
Many people think that…, but others don`t agree…
To consider some pros and cons of it …
Some people are conceived that …
Furthermore…/ Moreover… / What is more…
In addition to this…
Taking everything into account…
As was previously stated…
All things considered…
1. Read the text to answer the questions below:
What can be the possible reasons for punishment?
What may punishment include?
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: