Реклама: Настойка восковой моли
C) Summarize the text in five paragraphs specifying the development of 1) opera, 2) operetta and musicals, 3) instrumental music, 4) jazz and 5) rock.
2. Use the topical vocabulary in answering the following questions:1
1. What musical genres do you know and what role does folk music play in all of them?
classical music (instrumental, vocal, chamber, symphony), opera and operetta, ballet,
Folk music is the initial stage, it’s cause and motive.
2. What is meant by the terms classical or serious music, pop, rock, jazz and contemporary music?
Classical music is performed with classical instruments and is composed by the gifted composers having high musical education. As a rule such music is remained in the mind of people forever. The music of other genres is composed by the ordinary people, they are teenagers sometimes without any education, gift, connection with any traditions and such music has a very short time, not exceeding seven years.
3. Do you think the different musical genres named above are strictly separated or do they overlap in some ways? In what ways? What genre do you prefer?
They all overlap. Ballet and instrumental and vocal music make opera. Operetta is a opera in miniature. Ballet is performed under symphony music. Folk music is the initial base of all classical genres.
4. What role does music play in your life? Do you want music just to make you happy or does the music that you prefer vary with your mood? How does it vary?
5. Do you think that at school music should be given the same emphasis as subjects such as maths, literature, etc.?
6. Of which instruments does a symphony/chamber orchestra consist? What are the most popular instruments of pop groups, jazz or rock?
7. Why has the guitar become a very popular instrument in recent years? Do you prefer V. Vysotsky's performances with an entire orchestra or simply with a guitar? Why?
8. What is your favourite instrument? Can you play it? Does it help you to understand music?
9. The human voice is regarded as a most refined instrument the proper use of which requires a great deal of training. How do you feel about this characterization? Who are your favourite singers?
Интернет реклама УБС
10. Do you like opera? Do you agree with the opinion that operas are hard to follow while musicals are more up-to-date and easier to understand? What other forms have appeared of late?
11. How can you account for the large scale popularity of rock? Is it only an entertainment to young people or does rock music represent their values? What values?
12. Why are some rock fans less interested in the music of the past? Can you think of any similar examples when people attracted by a new style of music forget about the past?
13. What do you know about video clips? How do they affect music?
14. What do you know about the International Tchaikovsky Competitions? How often are they held and on what instruments do contestants perform? Can you give some names of prize winners or laureates of the Tchaikovsky Competitions? What do you know about their subsequent careers?
1 You may wish to bring in record jackets (sleeves), tapes, and advertisements for concerts or programmes, which depict current popular or classical music. These can serve as supplementary materials for several activities in the unit.
3. Give your impressions of a concert (recital) you have recently attended. Use the topical vocabulary. Outline for giving impressions:
1. Type of event. A concert of organ music, recital 2. What orchestra, group performed? Valeriya Balakhovska, a prominent and well-known Ukrainian organist. 3. Programme. Were the musical pieces well-known, popular, new, avant-guard, etc.? She played J.S.Bach’s works and some unknown for me, for ex. Joseph Bonnet’s Variations de concert op. I 4. Who was the conductor? 5. Was the event interesting and enjoyable in your opinion? Yes , it was very interesting and very enjoyable, it was excellent. I have been keeping delighted
ted since the concert. 6. Name the soloists. 7. What did critics say about the event? Do you share their points of view? 8. What impression did the event make on you? Did you take a solemn oath never to attend one again?
4. Pair work. Make up and act out a dialogue. (Use the clichés of agreement, disagreement and reacting to opinion or persuasion (pp. 287, 290, 291):
1. You are at a concert of contemporary music, about which you are not very knowledgeable. Your friend tries to initiate you in it. 2. Your father/mother cannot stand rock music and he/she never listens to it. You try to convince him/her that rock music is important in your life. 3. You are talking on the telephone with your friend who wants you to accompany her to a piano recital. You are reluctant to join her. 4. You are an accomplished jazz musician. But you never participated in jazz sessions. Your friend urges you to be more daring and try your hand at it. 5. Your sister has just come back from the Bolshoi Theatre where she heard Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmila. She tries to describe how much she enjoyed the opera, but you, being no great lover of opera music, turn a deaf ear. 6. You are fond of Tchaikovsky's music and always ready to talk about it. Your friend asks you to tell him/her more.
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: