SYSTEM OF EDUCATION IN THE USA
1. Control of education
- control, administration and funding of education at three levels – federal, state and local; goals of education, the ideal of equal opportunity in education, the principle of mass education for all;
- history of American schools.
2. Primary and secondary education
- grades/levels of schooling – pre-school, elementary/primary school, middle school, high school, public schools and private schools;
- basic curriculum structure: a core curriculum of required basic subjects, common types of electives; types of high school diploma.
3. Standardized tests
- nationally administered standardized tests to measure a high school student’s chance of academic success in the first year of college – the SAT and ACT.
4. Higher education
- categories of higher education institutions : the university, consisting of several undergraduate colleges, and graduate and professional schools; the 4-year college, the 2-year community college;
- public and private institutions, the Ivy League universities, religiously affiliated universities;
- types of degree courses: core courses, major courses, minor courses, elective courses; types of academic degrees; the credit system.
1. Portrait of the USA.
2. About the USA.
3. D.K.Stevenson. American Life and Institutions.
4. World Book Encyclopedia.
5. American Heritage Encyclopedia.
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: