Match the two parts of the sentences.
1) Maoris were … Wellington
2) New Zealand is a member of … Maoris
3) New Zealand is an island country … by Europeans in 1642.
4) The capital of the country is … a large island group called Polynesia.
5) About 12 per cent of the country’s population are … the Commonwealth of
6) The country was discovered … the first people who settled in New Zealand.
7) New Zealand belongs to … in the south-west Pacific Ocean.
Put in the missing words according to the text.
1) About 85% of the population is classified as … .
2) New Zealand is predominantly an English-speaking country, though both … and … are official languages.
3) Like the United Kingdom New Zealand is a … monarchy.
4) New Zealand has one of the highest … of living in the world.
5) The main industries of the country are … , … and … industries.
6) … were the first people who settled in New Zealand.
7) Moreover, Auckland and Wellington are considered to be the main … of the country.
Choose the correct verb for each blank.
belongs, is taught, is situated, exports, came, was discovered, draws
1) The country … by Europeans in 1642.
2) The country … on two main islands (the North Island and the South Island) and several small islands.
3) They … from Polynesian islands located northeast of New Zealand.
4) New Zealand … to a large island group called Polynesia.
5) New Zealand … wool, meat and butter.
6) New Zealand … many thousands of tourists to its shores because of the beauty, diversity, and compactness of its natural attractions.
7) The Maori language … at a number of schools.
6. Give Russian equivalents to the phrases:
1) unique vegetation and animal life
2) one of the highest standards of living in the world
3) a land of great contrasts and diversity
4) the spectacular snow-capped peaks of the Southern Alps
5) deep glacier lakes
6) one of the world’s developed countries
7) with ministers responsible for different aspects of government
Unit 11 Agriculture