V. 1. Complete the chart below with the information from the list.
Peugeot Benetton container ship operator American Express French
Japanese Italian drug and chemical maker drinks supplier
Make sentences about the companies. For example
Cisco Systems is an American IT company which supplies internet equipment.
Now talk in the same way about one of the companies you know.
GRAMMAR REVIEW 1
Past simple and present perfect
Answer the questions about the sentences below.
1. She has worked in Warsaw for six years.
· Does she work in Warsaw now?
2. She worked in London for three years.
· Does she work in London now?
Which sentence uses the past simple? Which uses the present perfect?
We use the past simple:
· to talk about completed actions which happened in the past.
Example. They worked last weekend to meet the deadline.
· to refer to a definite moment or period in the past.
Example. They made the presentation on Monday.
The present perfect connects the past and the present. We use the present perfect:
· to talk about past actions that affect us now.
Example. Our company has just introduced flexitime and everyone’s delighted.
· to talk about life experiences.
Example. I’ve worked with many companies during my life.
· to announce news.
Example. The CEO has appointed a new management team.
I. Cross out the incorrect sentence in each pair.
1. The role of women changed dramatically over the past 100 years.
2. He has worked as a Sales Manager since 1999.
3. I resigned two months ago.
4. Sales have increased in recent years.
5. Have you ever been to a stress counsellor before?
6. I have seen the Marketing Director last week.
II. Write the time expressions from the box under the correct heading.