II. Do you think cultures are becoming more alike? Is this a good thing? Give
your reasons. Think about:
1. improved communications
2. cheap foreign travel
3. global business
4. trading groups (such as the EU)
III. How important are the following things when doing business in your
Country? Are they: a) important b) not important c) best avoided?
1. exchanging business cards 7. being formal or informal
2. shaking hands 8. punctuality
3. kissing 9. humour
4. using first names 10. giving presents
5. small talk before meetings 11. being direct
6. accepting interruption
GRAMMAR REVIEW 1
Adjectives of nationality
To talk about the inhabitants of a country collectively, we use a noun
Which is the same as the adjective of nationality.
Example: Private space for the Japanese is virtually non-existent.
2. To talk about individual inhabitants, we may:
- use the adjective of nationality.
Example: a Japanese, an American, two Canadians
- add man/woman to the adjective.
Example: a Frenchwoman, two Irishmen
- use a different word.
Example: a Pole, a Spaniard, some Finns
To talk about a language, we use the same form as the adjective.
Example: In Holland most people speak Dutch, English and German.
I. Match the words from the three columns below to make sentences.
Transform the names of the countries into adjectives.
Example: IBM is an American computer company.
Ferrari France furniture retailer
IBM USA newspaper
Philips Britain beer
IKEA Russia car manufacturer
BBC 1 Sweden television channel
MK Holland electronics company
Chanel Italy computer company
Carlsberg China perfumery and clothing company
Toyworld Germany toy manufacturing firm
BUILD YOUR VOCABULARY
I. Complete the sentences with the words given in the list:
Skill communication recipient effort cultural awareness
personality trait adaptability flexibility response environment
1. An ability to do some work expertly and well is called ........ .
2. The answer or reaction of a person to something you say or do is a ........ .
3. A person who receives information is called a ........ .
4. A ........ is a distinguishing quality or characteristic of a person.
5. Knowledge of customs and traditions of a country or part of the world is
called ........ .
6. ........ is the act of giving and receiving information through talk or messages.
7. An ........ is the use of strength and energy in order to achieve something.
8. An easy change to suit new conditions of life and work is called ........ .
9. The power of making oneself suitable for a new use, need or situation is
10. ........ is surrounding atmosphere, conditions and influences.
II. Match the verbs and verb phrases in the left-hand column with the nouns