Case day experience luggage paper room scenery weather view
Mary and Liz are about to go on holiday together. Mary has come to collect Liz in her car.
MARY: Hello, Liz, are you ready?
LIZ: Yes, just about. All the luggageis here in the corridor. I hope I haven't got too many ____.
MARY: Don't worry. There's plenty of ____ in the car.
LIZ: Oh, good. I've packed rather a lot of things. I haven't had much ____ of travelling in the mountains, so I wasn't sure what to bring.
MARY: As long as you've got some warm sweaters for the evenings, and a good raincoat, you should be OK. The ____ in the mountains is wonderful, but the ____ can change very suddenly.
LIZ: Well, we've got a lovely ____ to start with.
MARY: You're right there. And I'm sure you'll like our ____ at the hotel, because they've promised me the ones I had last year when I was with my brother. Did you pack the guidebook, by the way?
LIZ: I've got it in my pocket. I packed some ____ too, so we can write letters.
MARY: Yes. It'd be nice to keep some sort of diary, too.
LIZ: That's a good idea. We might make an album afterwards, with words and photos. And I'm sure I'm going to have some great ____ to write about.
MARY: I'm sure you will, too. The ____ are like nothing you've ever seen. And the people are great. There's always music or something in one of the villages every evening. We'll buy some local ____ when we get there and find out what's going on this week.
LIZ: Well, I'm ready.
MARY: OK, let's go then.
Exercise 33. Complete the sentences. Put in a/an or some.
A. 1. The people who camped in the field have left ____ rubbish. 2. IТve been working on my essay. I think IТve made ____ progress. 3. That isnТt right. Look, youТve made ____ mistake. 4. IТm here for two nights, and IТm looking for ____ accommodation. 5. The room is quite empty. We need ____ furniture. 6. The second-hand shop had ____ sofa. 7. You pay extra for the taxi if youТve got ____ luggage. 8. I canТt fit this guitar into ____ suitcase. 9. The scientists are doing ____ interesting experiment. 10. They are doing ____ research into radioactivity. 11. You need ____ luck to win at this game. 12. IТm just about to set off on ____ long journey.
B. 1. We had ____ delicious food last night. 2. We had ____ delicious meal last night. 3. There is ____ beautiful furniture in that shop. 4. There is ____ beautiful table in that shop. 5. IТm thirsty. I need ____ drink. 6. IТm thirsty. I need ____ water. 7. She has just bought ____ expensive clothes. 8. She has just bought ____ expensive dress. 9. They booked ____ room in advance. 10. They booked ____ accommodation in advance. 11. The band played ____ lovely song. 12. The band played ____ lovely music. 13. We had ____ heat wave last week. 14. We had ____ hot weather last week. 15. I canТt do this job alone. I need ____ assistant. 16. I canТt do this job alone. I need ____ help. 17. He has got ____ heavy luggage to carry. 18. He has got ____ heavy suitcase to carry. 19. I need ____ cutlery to eat this food with. 20. I need ____ knife and fork to eat this food with.21. She has got ____ important work to do. 22. She has got ____ important job to do. 23. He found ____ coin on the ground. 24. He found ____ money on the ground.
Exercise 34. Complete the sentence with the correct form of the word in brackets.
1. He ate three ____ (cheese). 2. We had six ____ (lesson). 3. Many small ____ (village) were destroyed. 4. IТve got three ____ (homework) to do this evening. 5. Lots of ____ (person) were unhappy about it. 6. There were two important ____ (news). 7. Why are there three ____ (pajamas)? 8. Several ____ (child) got lost on the way to school. 9. IТd like five ____ (rice), please. 10. IТve got only two ____ (luggage). 11. There were four serious car ____ (crash) this weekend. 12. He can give you lots of important ____ (information). 13. It was autumn and the ____ (leaf) were falling. 14. There is a lot of ____ (pollution) in this town. 15. Some ____ (family) celebrate Christmas on December 24th. 16. WeТve got three ____ (fish) for dinner. 17. How many ____ (toast) do you want? 18. Can I have a few ____ (paper) to write on? 19. Five ____ (policeman) came round. 20. Let me give you a few ____ (advice). 21. You need about six and a half ____ (material) to make those curtains.
Exercise 35. Fill in much, manyorlots of.
1. Ц Did you have ____ time to spare? Ц Oh, yes, we had ____ of time. 2. Ц There were ____ people at the party, werenТt there? Ц Yes, I wasnТt expecting so ____. 3. Ц I didnТt have ____ time to spare at the airport. Ц No, I didnТt have ____ either. 4. Ц I wish I had ____ holidays. Ц I sometimes think people have too ____. 5. Ц We havenТt had ____ sun this summer, havenТt we? Ц No, there havenТt been ____ warm days at all. 6. Ц ____ people I know are growing their own vegetables. Ц Yes, there are too ____ chemicals used these days. 7. Ц There arenТt ____ trains here in the evening, are there? Ц No, there never were ____. 8. Ц ____ people who live here donТt come from here. Ц Really, I didnТt think there were ____ immigrants here. 9. Ц I donТt think our boss knows ____ about people. Ц I donТt think ____ bosses know ____ about people! 10. Ц Too ____ people are killed on the roads every year. Ц Yes and the government arenТt doing ____ about it.
Exercise 36. John and Sue are discussing what to buy for their party. Usemanyand much to complete their conversation.
- How ____ milk have we got?
- I think weТve got two pints.
- And how ____ butter is there?
- Oh, weТve got plenty of butter, but I donТt think there are ____ eggs left Ц maybe only 2 or 3.
- Right, IТll get some more. And have you any idea how ____ cheese there is?
- A pound. I know there is a pound so donТt get any more.
- And how ____ cartons of orange juice did we get? WasnТt it two?
- ThatТs right and they are still unopened.
- And how ____ is there left of that lettuce?
- Oh, most of it. And weТve got at least a pound of tomatoes.
- And how ____ are there in a pound?
- Usually about eight.
- And how ____ of that big cucumber is there?
- We havenТt used it at all yet.
- Well, what about drinks? How ____ cans shall I get?
- WeТve got ten. IsnТt that enough?
- I suppose so. How ____ wine is there?
- How ____ bottles do you think weТre going to need?
- Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by УneedФ!
Exercise 37. Choose the expression which cannot be used with the nouns.
1. There are several / many / much / plenty of / too little things you can do to help. 2. He has met a couple of / a few / very little / plenty of / too much interesting people. 3. She earns few / hardly any / plenty of / several / a great deal ofmoney. 4. We have got no / many / lots of / a great deal of / a fewwork to do. 5. DonТt worry; there is a little / plenty of / a couple of / many / a lot of time. 6. Both / Several / A large quantity of / Plenty of / Too muchstudents applied for the course. 7. HeТs got no / hardly any / a little / some qualification. 8. SheТs got hardly any / several / a little / a few / a lot ofexperience in dealing with customers. 9. There is too much / a lot of / hardly any / few / several salt in this soup. 10. There is a little / many / too much / a great number of / some traffic on the roads today.
Exercise 38. Complete the conversations. Choose the correct form.
1. Ц Can I pick an apple / some apple from your tree? Ц Yes, of course. 2. Ц I think sport / a sport is boring. Ц Me too. I hate it. 3. Ц We ought to buy some potato / some potatoes. Ц OK, I'll get them. 4. Ц I think painting / a painting is a fascinating hobby. Ц Well, you're certainly very good at it. 5. Ц Did you hear noise / a noise in the middle of the night? ЦNo, I don't think so. 6. Ц Is there cheese / a cheese in this soup? Ц Yes, a little. 7. Ц I had conversation / a conversation with Vicky last night. Ц Oh? What about? 8. Ц Shall I put a chicken / some chicken in your sandwiches? Ц Yes, please. 9. Ц Are you a pacifist? Ц Well, I don't believe in war / a war, so I suppose I am. 10. Ц It isn't fair. Ц No, life / a life just isn't fair, I'm afraid. 11. Ц What's the matter? Ц You've got some egg / some eggs on your shirt.
Exercise 39. Complete the conversations. Put in these nouns: