to go shopping
to go through
on one's way
.to need badly
on the counters
cream . :
right across the street
to have a look
the latest models
to suit perfectly . .
I couldn't help laughing
to agree immediately
1. Who does the shopping in your family?
2. How often do you go shopping?
3. Do you prefer to go shopping on weekdays or at the weekend?
4. Do you like to go to small shops or to big department stores and supermarkets?
5. Which do you think is the most convenient time for shopping?
6. Some people are fond of window-shopping . Can you say that you belong to such people? .
7. What are advantages and disadvantages of big supermarkets?
8. Can you see a difference between state-owned shops and private shops? Which ones do you prefer
M a t c h:
1. Usually worn by girls. hat
2. A jacket and a pair of trousers of the same colour. fur coat
3. To keep your neck warm. skirt
4. Worn by women and men in Scotland. blouse
5. Worn in winter. dress
6. Worn under a jacket by women. suit
7. Worn on your head . scarf
Work in pairs .
Write a dialogue and then act it out.
Customer: Ask the shop-assistant to show you a blouse/suit..
Shop-assistant : Ask about the size.
C.: Tell your size.
S.: Say that you have only big sizes.
C. Ask when they are going to get small ones.
S.: Answer. ( tomorrow, next week etc. )
C.; Say you’ll come next time.
S.: Ask the customer to phone and give the telephone number.
C.: Thank the shop-assistant and part.
.You are going to buy the following items at a department store. Look at the shop plan and write which department you would go to:
Cream for your hands
Audio & TV
China and glass
THE SHOP PLAN
The ground floor – dress fabrics, stationery, leather gifts and perfumery departments.
The 1st floor – ladies’ fashions, hats, lingerie and shoe departments.
The 2nd floor –towels and linen, telephone, carpet and curtains departments.
The 3d floor –furniture, home decorating departments, a place to eat.
The 4th floor – coffee shop, luggage, glass, audio departments
The 5th floor –lost property, bureau de change.