Education in Britain
In England and Wales compulsory school begins at the age of five, but before that age children can go to a nursery school, also called play school. School is compulsory till the children are 16 years old.
In Primary School and First School children learn to read and write and the basis of arithmetic. In the higher classes of Primary School (or in Middle School) children learn geography, history, religion and, in some schools, a foreign language. Then children go to the Secondary School.
When students are 16 years old they may take an exam in various subjects in order to have a qualification. These qualifications can be either G.C.S.E. (General Certificate of Secondary Education) or "O level" (Ordinary level). After that students can either leave school and start working or continue their studies in the same school as before. If they continue, when they are 18, they have to take further examinations which are necessary for getting into university or college.
Some parents choose private schools for their children. They are very expensive but considered to provide a better education and good job opportunities.
In England there are 47 universities, including the Open University which teaches via TV and radio, about 400 colleges and institutes of higher education. The oldest universities in England are Oxford and Cambridge. Generally, universities award two kinds of degrees: the Bachelor's degree and the Master's degree.
1. When does compulsory school begin?
2. How long does a child stay in compulsory school?
3. What subjects do children learn in Primary School?
4. What kind of exam do students have to take when they are 16?
5. Do students have to leave school at the age of 16 or to continue their studies?
6. How do private schools differ from the regular ones?
7. How many universities are there in England?
8. What is the Open University?
9. What kinds of degrees do universities award?
compulsory - обов'язкова
nursery school - дитячий садок
exam - іспит
subject - предмет
university - університет
private - приватний
opportunity - можливість
to award - давати, привласнювати
bachelor - бакалавр
master – магістр
1. ПРОЧИТАЙТЕ ТА ПЕРЕКЛАДІТЬ ТЕКСТ.
2. ПІДГОТУЙТЕСЬ ДО ДЕТАЛЬНОГО ПЕРЕКАЗУ ТЕКСТУ
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: