The Work of a Laboratory Assistant.
A laboratory assistant must remember that the bacteria with which he is working can produce disease. So, he must be very careful when he works with cultures , slides and all material that may be in contact with living microorganisms.
When he works at the laboratory he must remember the following rules:
1. Microscope slides and cover-slips must be put into jars of disinfectant solution .
2. He must not moisten labels with the tongue.
3. He must wear a laboratory coat.
4. He must not eat , drink or smoke in the laboratory.
5. He must sterilize inoculating needles before and after use. He must heat them in the flame until red hot.
6. He must always keep test-tubes with cultures in test – tube racks.
7. He must wash his hands before leaving the laboratory.
- Find Ukrainian equivalents to English ones.
Health center, laboratory personnel, precisely, to carry out, autonomous responsibilities, specimen, sample, sanitary conditions, safety gears, perilous materials, toxic supplies, suspicious results, effective utilization.
Персонал лабораторії, виконувати, санітарні умови, центри здоров’я, точно, токсичні матеріали, взірець, особисті зобов’язання, сумнівні результати, надійний прилад, небезпечна речовина, ефективне використання, зразок.
- Use new expressions in the sentences of your own.
V. Reading Activities.
a) Pre - reading Stage.
- Skim through the text and write out key words.
b) While-reading Stage.
- Read the text Laboratory assistant work and write out the stages of laboratory testing and the duties of laboratory assistants. Put them into the table.