III. Vocabulary: Monarchy
A. Complete these ‘royal’ words:
1. The son of a monarch is a p……… .
2. The daughter of a monarch is a p……. .
3. The special chair which a monarch sits on is a th……. .
4. The ceremony where a monarch is created is a c……… .
5. The person who will become the next monarch is the current monarch’s h…. .
6. A royal residence is a p…….. .
B. Find seven words connected with royalty. Some of them have been written vertically, some horizontally and some diagonally.
IV. Grammar Review: Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect.
A. Combine the two sentences. Use the verb in bold in the Past Continuous or Past Perfect. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. They watched TV from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. I arrived at 6.30. – When I arrived, they ________ ____________TV.
2. She left the office at 5 p.m. I phoned her at 5.10. – When I phoned her, she ___________ the office.
3. I studiedfor the exam the night before. Nevertheless I didn’t pass it. – I didn’t pass the exam, although I ________________ the night before.
4. He cycled to work this morning. In the middle of his journey, he had an accident. – When he __________________ to work this morning, he had an accident.
5. He only had ten lessons. He passed his driving test. – When he passed his driving test, he _________________ only ten lessons.
6. He forgot the time. He arrived late for the meeting. – He arrived late for the meeting as he ________________ the time.
B. Complete the sentences with the Past Simple, Past Continuous, or Past Perfect.
Model:Wedidn’t realizethat wehad beenthere before. (not realize, be).
1. A: How _________________________? (the accident / happen)
B: He ________________ back from Manchester when he ______ a tree. (drive, hit)
2. I _____________________ cooking the meal when they ____________ me to say they couldn’t come. (already, start / call)
3. When I got home I was really tired, so I ___________ a shower and _____________ to bed. (have / go)
4. I arrived too late. The concert ________________ and my friends ________________ home. (finish, go)
5. The driver ______________ control of his car because he _____________________ on his mobile. (lose, talk)
6. The high spending ______ (seem) radical when it began in 2000.
7. When he came, they _______ already ___________ ( finish) writing the English test.
8. They _______ (to have) a vivid discussion when the teacher came into the classroom.
9. She ______ (do) her home assignment when the telephone rang.
10. When the telephone rang she ______ already ______ (do) her home assignment.