Exercise 14. Match phrasal verbs to their definitions.
| 1. to come up with
2. to crack down
3. to smoke out
4. to step up
5. to be after
6. to break into
7. to tip off
8. to lean on
9. to let off
10. to be/get mixed up in
|| a. to increase something
| b. to chase
| c. to start dealing with someone or something much more strictly
| d. to warn someone secretly about something that will happen so that they can take action or prevent it from happening
| e. to be or to become involved in an illegal or bad activity
| f. to produce or provide something that people want
| g. not to punish someone who has committed a crime or done something wrong, or not to punish someone severely
| h. to bring into the open; expose to the public
| i. to enter by force
| j. to deceive someone or make them believe something that is not true
Exercise 15. Fill the correct particles into the spaces. Use the information from the above exercise.
We're in big trouble if we don't come ________ with the money by 6 o'clock.
I was pulled over for speeding, but I was let ________ with a warning.
3. If it is to smoke _______ al-Qaeda the US must, as Mr Rumsfeld has said, "alter the military balance".
The boss is leaning _______ us to meet the deadline.
Michael Masters was giving her a time, and a day, to break ______ his house and take his pistols.
My flat was broken _________ while I was away.
He tipped _________ the police about the terrorist plot.
How could David be mixed _______ _______ smuggling?
The school is cracking _______ on smoking.
- A dining table with some chairs to match
- A) Match the words on the left with the expressions on the right.
- A) Match the words to make word combinations
- A. Look at the pie-chart and say whether other search service providers operate in the Russian market. Do you check their ads more than once?
- A. Match pictures 1 – 7 with their descriptions 1) – 6).
- A. Match professions with their definitions.
- A. Match the facts about the UK with the places on the map.
- A. What countries is English the first language? Match English-speaking countries with their national flags and capitals.
- A. When you start a conversation try to reply in a way that develops the conversation. Match the question with an appropriate reply.
- A. You will hear a manager interviewing a person for a job. Listen out for these verbs, and then use them to complete sentences 1-5.
- Additional Exercise
- ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: