The relationship between the lexical meaning and the notion.
There is a close relationship between the lexical meaning and the notion. Notion denotes the reflection in the mind of real objects and phenomena in their essential features and relations. Each notion is characterized by its scope and content. The scope of the notion is determined by all the objects it refers to. The content of the notion is made up of all the features that distinguish it from other notions.
The relationship between the linguistic lexical meaning and the logical notion follows in some detail.
1. The relationship between the lexical meaning and the notion varies. A word may have a notion for its referent (when it evokes a general idea, a notion, without directly referring to any particular element of reality). E. g. A good laugh is the sunshine in the house. A word may also have a particular individual object for its referent. E. g. Do you remember what the young lady did with the telegram?
To sum up, we can say that the logical notion is the referent of lexical meaning quite often, but not always, because there may be other referents such as the real objects.
2. The notion is always emotionally neutral. The meaning conveys both reflection of objective reality and connotations revealing the speaker’s state of mind and his attitude to what he is speaking about: admiration, respect, scorn, irony, etc.
Notion belongs to abstract logic, has no ties with any stylistic sphere and does not contain any emotive component. The lexical meaning of many words cannot be divorced from the typical sphere, where the words are used and the typical contexts.
3. The complexity of the notion is determined by its relationships of the extra-linquiitic reality reflected in human consciousness.
The structure of every separate meaning depends on the linguistic syntagmatic and paradigmatic relationships, because meaning is an inherent component of language. That is, the complexity of each word meaning is due to the fact, that it combines lexical meaning with lexico-grammatical meaning with emotional colouring, stylistic peculiarities.
4. The grouping of meanings is different from the grouping of notions, because frequently the words are polysemantic. E. g. to burn – ‘destroy in fire’, ‘be in flames’.
5. Notions are mostly international, especially for the nations with the same level of cultural development. Meaning may be nationally determined and limited. E. g. ‘go’ – the main meaning ‘move or pass from place to place’ is common in English and Russian. But quite a considerable number of meanings of this word don’t coincide (the words ‘come’ and ‘walk’ more precisely point out the direction and character of movement). There is also difference between идти и ехать.
There are many cases when the English word combines the meanings of two or more Russian words expressing similar notions: floor – пол, этаж; boat – судно, лодка, пароход, шлюпка, корабль; cry – плакать, кричать.
Summing up, we can say that the lexical meaning of the word is the realization or naming of a notion, emotion or object. All the specific features that distinguish the lexical meaning from the notion are due to its linguistic nature.
Не знайшли потрібну інформацію? Скористайтесь пошуком google: